Saturday, January 29, 2011

In the Kitchen


While we were on the subject of cooking ~ what it looked like to you before you learned she was playing with play-dough, I'll go ahead and share what Anjali's been up to in the kitchen. Any time she sees me get out the big glass mixing bowl, she knows some fun is to be had. I help her up onto a stool or chair, and we figure out ways she can be involved.
Sauerkraut is so tactile ~ sprinkling salt on veggies and pounding with the "tiny" wooden spoon, then packing into jars. She's been involved with this process for almost a year now. :)

Recently she volunteered to chop cabbage. I gave her the paring knife (she is already well-versed in the sharpness, and reminds me with a serious look, pointing to the blade, "Very shorp. Be careful!"), and positioned a fluffier (easier to cut) piece for her. I helped guide her grip and form occasionally, and was right there to intervene in an instant when necessary. She stayed with it for at least ten minutes, I'd say, and worked hard at it; she was so determined. She cut quite a bit. I admit I breathed a huge sigh of relief when she got tired, but I was also impressed with how she kept at it. (And of course I was too involved to take photos!) When she got done, her hand was pink with effort where she had held the knife!

She helps me label the jars when we're done.
Anjali's favorite cooking project might be "dough" ~ which covers a wide variety of sticky mixtures that we stir. She has a wooden stirring spoon she likes best. She stirs, adds ingredients, stirs and stirs, and samples. And samples. ;)

On the last batch we made, she even did some kneading. But the dough was so tasty to her that none of her little lump of dough actually made it to the oven! Ha!

I'm fortunate enough to rarely be in a hurry, so I can relax and simply enjoy this with her as she takes it all in and tries her hand at processes ~ spills and messes, extra-special additional ingredients and all. :) Lucky us!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, she is getting to be such a big girl!!!! And so helpful to mommy!

    Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete