Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"Switch-uated" and Other Still-Two-But-Almost-Three-Year-Old Words



the watering can


Once people notice how bold and enthusiastic Anjali is about making new friends, the second thing people often notice is how much Anjali enjoys language. Here are a few fun words and phrases I've heard lately.

Switch-uated (as opposed to "situated"). She uses this one a lot. "Let me get switch-uated." I think this word makes a lot of sense.

Concerned and confused ~ she is still figuring out the difference between these as she tentatively interchanges them.

Misunderstood. Always a happy-surprised exclamation, as in, "Oh! I misunderstood!"

She is now pronouncing "yogurt," as opposed to "yurick," which she used for a very long time, insistently.

I figured out (after she alluded to it..) that she uses the word, "dinner," instead of "breakfast" ~ even if we're are actually eating breakfast ~ because she has trouble pronouncing "breakfast."

Oh! So glad I remembered this one; it has been a favorite of mine and Papi's for a long time. She pronounces "dizzy" as "bizzy." She likes to spin and spin, or have Papi spin her till she gets dizzy, and then says, "oo! I'm bizzy!" I like thinking of our actual word, "busy," with this much more fun connotation. :)

The past few days, she has been conscientiously pronouncing "th" when she catches it. However, the following "th" words are fun while they last:

If you ask her what music she wants to listen to at any given moment, she will probably reply, "Elizabiff Mitchell." (This is a folk singer who sings the highest quality, beautiful, interestingly-instrumented, soothing, not-dumbed-down music geared toward children I have ever heard. I like her, too ~ which is a good thing, because Anjali requests her almost daily!)

Oh, and speaking of turning three, Anjali is proud to recite her birth date, "Ock-ter twenny fiff!"

And if you ask her how old she'll be, she'll say, "I'm gonna be FREE!" I like that a lot. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment