(with some random photos mixed in to keep you entertained.)
"wah-wah" in the backyard "pool".
(using a special application on my phone camera to make it look artistically "vintage".)
Oh, my! Anjali is over twenty-two months old! This is so precariously close to Two Years Old, that oftentimes when people ask how old she is, I reply that she's "almost two." Whoa!
This is convenient, because that is how high she can count! :)

girl on a mission (in San Diego this past weekend)
I'd noticed that when people talk to Anjali these days, they expect her to be able to answer a couple questions ~ what's her name, and how old she is. So I introduced these concepts to her so that she could respond for herself when asked. I said, "Anjali, when people ask you what your *name* is, you can say, 'Anjali!'" I pointed to myself and said, "My *name* is 'Mommy'," I pointed to Papi and said, "His *name* is 'Papi. *Your name* is 'Anjali'." She sat with this and then a few days later she brought it up again. She pointed to me and said, "Name ~ Mommy!" pointed to herself, and said, "Name ~ Baby!" I said, "What about 'Anjali'? Is your name 'Anjali'?" She pointed to herself and said, "Baby." Since then, when people ask what her name is, more than once she has said, "Baby!"
Since I noticed that Anjali has been counting to two ~ "tee-yoo!", I introduced the other concept, saying, "When people ask you how old you are, you can tell them you're TWO!" and I held up two fingers for her to see. We talked about it a few times after that. Then one day someone asked her, "How are you?" and she replied, "Tee-yoo!" and held up both of her hands as you would to display the number 10. :)

pouring from one to another ~ a favorite activity
(in Potrero Hill, San Francisco)
When I explain to Anjali what we're going to do for the day, I sometimes say that we're going to go, for example, to the Farmers' Market, and "see some friends". As we are out and about, Anjali often points to a seemingly random group of people, or a family with kids, and says, "Finnds (friends)!" I love this perspective ~ that anyone you see on the sidewalk is a potential friend.
reading with "finnds" ~ "Tow-ee" (Sheltowee), "Pit" (Piglet), and "Wah-kee" (Monkey)
We were waiting in line in front of two restroom doors ~ one for men and one for women. Anjali questioningly pointed to the men's door when I told her we would go in the women's. So I listed off people who would go in each door. Mommy, Anjali, and Tita Arlene would go in the women's restroom. Papi, Uncle Austin, and Uncle Brian would go in the men's restroom. She sat with this, and on later days we talked again about those we know, and whether they are men or women. We had talked about boys and girls, so I said that boys are tiny men, and girls are tiny women. I explained that women have boogies (Anjali is fond of pointing out boogies ~ breasts). Since then Anjali has been making pretty accurate guesses as to who is a "wimming," and who is a "man", and also who's a boy and who's a girl. She says she is a girl.

She's a girl who's Almost Two!
No comments:
Post a Comment