Friday, February 18, 2011

Strolling ~ With a Big Gwirrel

Anjali is no longer even just a "girl"; she says, "I a big gwirrel (rhymes closely with squirrel)."
Lately, being a big girl means, "I walk myself." As in, no carrier. Emphatically, sometimes emotionally, "No carrier! No Papi shoulders!"
We rarely drive anyplace (other than Papi to work), and we enjoy daily recreational walking even with no destination. So this is quite an adjustment. As much as I adore walking with Anjali in the carrier, I am trying to be "a big gwirrel" myself and accept that our carrier days may be past, or at least taking a break. And we've actually ~ you better sit down for this one (haha!) ~ dusted off the stroller that we bought and have never used since Anjali was an infant! She enjoys this ~ especially when Papi drives ;) . But lots of times we all walk. And often Papi and I feel the need to hustle Anjali along to actually get where we plan to go ~ she has a pace all her own, in no hurry, and with no particular goal destination.
Being a person who has never been accused of rushing ;-) , I want Anjali to be able to enjoy some time walking in which she can go at her own pace, without feeling like she has to rush to keep up, or be hurried. Though I have always valued doing things slowly and savoring, I'm learning to slow down even more, to enjoy the world at a toddler's pace.
Several times a week, we head out with only a few blocks to cover. We smell flowers and make up stories about garden gnomes.
We study honey bees. We sit at the light rail station and wait for a train. She steps up and walks on every sidewalk curb. She inspects stones, seed pods, and mailbox lettering. Sometimes a doll comes along, or a bag with essential items. And I usually remember to pack a small snack that we sit to eat somewhere along the way.
Adjusting items in the bag.

Visiting the duck pond.

1 comment:

  1. Oh what wonderful memories you are going to have of you, your mama, and your papi!! What love you have from all your family!

    Love,
    Mamaw and Papa

    ReplyDelete