Sunday, December 27, 2009

Kisses

Yesterday Anjali offered me a kiss for the first time. We were on the floor putting her clothes on. She held her mouth in something like a tight smile, and held her face still in front of mine. Somehow I sensed what she had in mind, and I kissed her mouth. She seemed satisfied, and walked away.
Today she opened up a package for Papi in his absence (he wouldn't mind). One of the parts was held in a small purple gift bag with straps. I told Anjali that the gift was for Papi, and she got up, slung it over her shoulder, and walked around the house. The box inside the bag fell out, and I held the bag open so that she could put the box back inside. Like yesterday, she held her mouth in that way, and hummed, "Mmmm!" I kissed her, and she went on her way. Four or five more times this happened (anytime she tripped or stumbled as she walked, the box fell out of the bag, and we put it back in), and she asked for a kiss each time before she went on her way with the bag over her shoulder. I couldn't help but wonder if she were imitating Papi leaving out the door to go to work, always with his backpack over his shoulder, always giving me a kiss before he shuts the door. My heart melted every time she did this.
I like kisses from Anjali!

No comments:

Post a Comment