Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fun with Words

Anjali is enjoying her broadening vocabulary and understanding of language.
Lately she has liked to say silly nonsensical things and giggle about them, and look up at my face to see how I'll react. One such silly thing she said that I remembered to write down, was (after we had looked at a picture of some dinosaurs, and were then brushing our teeth in the bathroom), "I have a dinosaur. I have a dinosaur in my toilet!"
She starts a story simply for the pleasure of the process, without knowing where it will go. Last night, I was able to jot down her stream of consciousness story (also note her recent acquisition of the word, "because," and the strong fascination with being "a big girl."). "I can bellydance because I'm a big girl. I'm a big girl ~ I do it differently because I'm just a flower, I'm not a bird."

Words that she uses that are coming to mind: Actually, pronounced, "acksully," "I think," which she pronounces, "I sink..," and holds her fingers poised to her chin, such as, "I sink it's acksully sugar that you put in my tea, not stevia." (An actual mischievous sentence she said the other day. Hee hee!)
Speaking of travel, I love the way she pronounces airport, "or-port."
And also having to do with words, Anjali loves listening to music, and really studies and picks up on the words. If she hears a different version of a song she's used to hearing, she notices when they say different words, or in a different way. She also asks me when she's singing along, if she doesn't understand a word, such as in the song My Girl, "I've got all the riches, baby, one man can claim," she said, "One man can clay?"

And...that's all the stories about words I can think of right now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment